- This event has passed.
A workshop for school staff and researchers, presented by The Australian Sociological Association (Sociology of Education Thematic Group)
What kinds of social research is of benefit to schools? How can schools make room for research? How can researchers co-design projects with schools to achieve common goals? How can researchers manage institutional barriers, e.g. onerous approvals processes, financial constraints, and time constraints?
Social scientists working on education have always worked productively with schools. However, that is becoming increasingly difficult because of the pressures facing both schools and the research sector. The aim of this workshop is to bring together researchers and school staff to share ideas and experiences, in order to increase understanding and create possibilities for new ways of working together.
Participating researchers work on issues including:
- Educational inequality
- Cultural diversity and schooling
- Impacts of Covid on schooling
- Selective schools and educational segregation
- Transitions to post-school life
Our panel includes:
- Cathy Wilton, Principal, Yennora Public School
- Sarah Loch, Research Director, Pymble Ladies College
- Kimberley Pressick-Kilborn, Research Director, Trinity Grammar College
- Eliza Buckley, Youth and Community Services Manager, 3 Bridges Community Centre
- Dr Quentin Maire, University of Melbourne